What's not to love about making a meal in one pot and having it done in about 20 minutes from start to finish? I love cooking with freeze dried foods and especially freeze dried meats. There is no prep involved and you don't have to "plan ahead" and take the meat out of the freezer to thaw it out. It's ready when you're ready. There's also no mess and no waste because you just scoop it out of the can.
In this recipe we're combining Thrive Life ground beef (hamburger), frozen cheese tortellini and adding a Mexican flair of yumminess.
With all the craziness of 2020, freeze dried meat and cheese has been flying off the shelves at Thrive Life. Never fear, they are coming back in stock soon if you see they are out. To stay updated, be sure to sign up for our newsletter so you can grab the foods you want when they come back.
There are several brands of frozen cheese tortellini in your freezer aisle and if you prefer a fresher tortellini option you can usually find them near the deli at your store in the refrigerated section. With this recipe, I used about 25 small cheese tortellini and it made 2-3 servings depending on how big the serving is and if you're serving anything else with it.
I am using the onion slices in this recipe but you can easily swap out the chopped onions if that's all you have on hand. They really are interchangeable and we keep both in stock. Not sure which one to buy? Check out my video and pictures. It probably won't make your decision easier but you'll be able to see the difference.
If you don't set out your cream cheese ahead to make it softer, don't worry. Just toss it in the pot with the other ingredients and break it up as you go. It might take a little longer but totally works. You can also choose to cut it in smaller chunks before you add it to the pot.
Your one pot taco tortellini dinner will be ready and on the table in about 20 minutes because you're going to just scoop everything right out of the cans. I used my salt free taco seasoning and a low sodium jar of salsa from the store. I've also made this recipe with my low sodium 5 minute salsa and if you're watching that salt intake, stick with the low sodium options. This also goes for checking the bags of your frozen cheese tortellini because some are a lot higher than others. While the ground beef hamburger does have some salt added, we're only using 3/4 cup in the recipe and that's divided into 2-3 servings.
One Pot Taco Tortellini Recipe
- 1 c. frozen cheese tortellini (any brand) - this was about 25 small tortellini
- 3/4 c. Thrive Life ground beef (hamburger)
- 1/2 c. Thrive Life corn
- 1/4 c. Thrive Life red bell peppers
- 1/4 c. Thrive Life onion slices (can use Thrive Life chopped onions also)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning (I used my salt free taco seasoning)
- 2 Tablespoons Thrive Life green chili peppers (if you light it hotter, add more)
- 1 c. salsa (any brand or my low sodium salsa)
- 1 c. water
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Thrive Life Cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon Thrive Life Chives
Add all ingredients to the pot and turn up to a boil, once boiling reduce to a simmer, cover and cooking 10-15 minutes until ground hamburger is rehydrated.
Why use Thrive Life Freeze Dried Foods?
Thrive freeze dried foods are different than any other kind you’ll find on the market.
- These foods won’t spoil in a few days…or even a few weeks. They’re good.
- You won’t be thawing, degreasing, or cutting raw meat.
- You won’t be chopping veggies or washing and peeling fruit.
- There’s an extra burst of flavor you won’t find anywhere else! Just take a bite!
- Just toss in any meal or refresh (rehydrate) in warm water.
- Free of GMOs, preservatives, artificial nonsense and chemical junk
- The Nutrilock Promise! It's our little secret that makes our food higher in nutrients and freeze-dried fresh all year long. It's a rigorous 41 step process that one Thrive Life owns, and it takes that wild, naturally ripened food and gently locks in the nutrients and flavor without the use of preservatives. Can the grocery store do that?
Want to get a percentage back on your own Thrive Life orders and recommend the products to others? Join us and become a consultant. Click here for details. When you sign up, watch for our names - Lisa and Rich Jelinek to know you're on our site. We'll be sending you an email welcome and check your junk folder if you don't see it.
Lisa and Rich Jelinek