This recipe comes from the Thrive Life Pulled Pork Chef Pack and will not disappoint! If you decide to go with the Pulled Pork Chef Pack, you'll receive 7 recipe cards with the pack and this recipe is officially called "Open-Faced Pulled Pork Sandwich." The recipe card and ingredients list 3 ways you can make this.
You can serve it with homemade bread. Can you smell that baking right now? I love homemade bread but since I live in Phoenix and it's over 100 degrees right now, the smartest option is NOT to turn on the oven. If you select that option, this recipe will take a total of 2 hours and 30 minutes. The Pulled Pork Chef Pack does come with a pantry sized can of Country White Dough Mix and the recipe is on the can...which is very easy. Just be sure that you have some instant yeast.
The next option is just to toast some bread. Easy peasy. That option as well as the option I selected, takes 20 minutes. If you toast some sliced bread, then you don't even dirty another pot since the pulled pork in a 1 pan meal.
I chose the mashed potatoes because I LOVE mashed potatoes and since these were Thrive mashed potatoes, they were ready in a few minutes.
WARNING: Your ENTIRE family will come into the kitchen while this is cooking and start drooling! I'm not kidding you.
Right after you saute the garlic and butter you add the bulk of the ingredients and water to let simmer. This must have been cooking for 3-4 minutes when Rio, our very senior dog, walked into the kitchen excitedly. I mean high-steppin' excited with his nose in the air and sat right next to me gazing lovingly at the stove. Then the drool started. I had to break it to him that this was not his meal and he didn't want to hear it.
Next, hubby walked into the kitchen and asked when it will be done. I think I may have seen some drool too or that could have been mine or Rio's. Who could really tell between the 3 of us.
During the drool fest, I did manage to simmer the water for the Thrive mashed potatoes and make them. Once the water is simmering, you add in your Thrive mashed potatoes and whisk until combined. You can add in any seasonings and remove from heat and allow to rest a minute before serving. The Pulled Pork Chef Pack does come with mashed potatoes and a recipe for Loaded Mashed Potatoes.
From the minute you put that first bite in your mouth, you'll wonder why you've never tried Thrive Pulled Pork before. It is THAT tender. It actually blows my mind because when we go out to eat, I'll order a pulled pork sandwich or a pulled pork meal because I would never make it at home.
Let me tell you...we will NEVER order pulled pork at a restaurant again. Those are some strong words and it's the truth. This is That.Darn.Good!
Pulled Pork Recipe with Mashed Potatoes or Homemade Bread
- 1 tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 c. Thrive Pulled Pork - Freeze Dried
- 1/3 c. Thrive Onion Slices - Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. Thrive Red Bell Peppers - Freeze Dried
- 2 tbsp. Thrive Green Chili Peppers - Freeze Dried
- 1/2 tsp. Thrive Chefs Choice
- 3 c. Water
- 1/3 c. Thrive Espagnole (Savory Beef Gravy)
- 1/4 c. Barbecue Sauce
- 1 can Thrive Country White Dough Mix pantry can
- 1 pkg. Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 c. + 2 tbsp. Water
- Make loaded mashed potatoes as recipe directs.
- Make bread according to can directions. (or use bread on hand and make Thrive bread at your convenience)
- For the pulled pork gravy, saute garlic in butter until caramelized.
- Add in remaining ingredients with 3 cups of water, except for espagnole and barbecue sauce.*
- Simmer for 3 minutes. Add in espagnole and barbecue sauce and allow to simmer until thick and saucy.
- Once bread is made slice into 4-6 thick 1-2 inch slices. Spread butter on bread and grill in pan until golden brown on both sides.
- Add loaded mashed potatoes to the top of the pan fried bread and then top with the BBQ pork gravy. Enjoy.
- If you're a wimp on "heat", reduce the amount of Green Chili Peppers. I'm a wimp and we used a 1/2 tablespoon instead of 2 tablespoons. We felt the "heat" was perfect.
- When you open your can of Green Chili Peppers DO NOT take a big ole whiff right out the can. I'm not saying that I've done this (or maybe I have) but if you are tempted, don't do it. They do smell delicious but resist.
- If you're like me and watch your sodium intake, you can skip the Chefs Choice seasoning blend.
- *The recipe calls for 3 cups of water. The next time we make this, I will reduce the water by a 1/2 cup. I always say you can add more water if needed. It took longer to "cook out" the water and I like my pulled pork meal to be thicker.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
Drop a comment below if you've tried this recipe or just our pulled pork in another recipe. You won't be sorry.
What's the BEST way to shop for Thrive products?
We're excited that you are interested in learning more about Thrive Foods and how you can use them in your everyday cooking to save time and money in the kitchen and also have food on hand for emergencies. Here are 3 ways you can buy Thrive and know you are getting the best deals:
- Shop our Consultant Website: This way you will save huge off retail pricing by shopping with us as your consultants. By joining our list you'll receive a temporary password but you can shop ANY TIME and get wholesale prices by visiting https://
- Join the Thrive Delivery Service: Get the BEST prices on Thrive, sent to your doorstep, at a budget you can afford every single month. Choose from hundreds of ingredients or meals, schedule your delivery, cancel or skip anytime. We'll remind you of what's coming before each order so you can change it if you'd like. You'll also receive monthly coupons for specials only available to our Delivery Service customers. PLUS you receive FREE SHIPPING on Deliveries $100 or more! Be sure to activate your order. If you would like it to process today, after you select a date, go back into your Delivery and click on Ship Now. Not ready to set up a Delivery? No problem! You can still place individual orders. When you shop through our Thrive Life website, you'll receive our wholesale pricing.
- Become a Consultant: Earn commission and free food benefits off your OWN purchases and when you tell your family and friends about Thrive. There are no mandatory sales quotas. You select one of our Consultant kits to get started. Learn more about being a Thrive Life Consultant here.
- Sign up for our newsletter: Stay updated on sales, recipes and kitchen tips. Sign up here.
Lisa and Rich Jelinek