Even though I think of tuna salad as a summertime favorite, many of us have it year-round. Tuna salad always brings back memories of neighborhood get-togethers and my mom making a big batch of tuna salad to bring. She always put in a giant yellow/gold Tupperware bowl and was hard not to want to eat while she was making a batch.
Flash forward to now, we make a small amount of tuna salad enough to serve the both of us. This way we don't overeat and that is an EASY thing to do with a tasty bowl of tuna salad. Mom's tuna salad didn't include chickpeas and come to think of it, we NEVER had chickpeas while I was growing up. Now, I LOVE them and added them to this tuna salad as an afterthought. If you're not a lover of chickpeas, just leave them out
This is why we love Thrive Life foods. We can use a little of this and a little of that and not have any waste. It's also super convenient because my biggest tuna salad problem has always been the onions. For one, I don't like peeling and chopping them but for two...where in the world do you buy good tasting onions?!? I swear we've tried just about every onion raw out there and while we find one that may be very good raw, the next time we buy that same kind, it's super sharp. There's no consistency and the reason we stopped using onions in recipes until we found Thrive onions.
On to the recipe! This recipe serves 2 and as usual, you can double, triple, etc. the batch. We had this for dinner along with a salad and it was the perfect amount. If you're not serving it with anything else, you might want to go ahead and double the recipe right away. Worse case scenario...you'll have delicious leftovers!
1 3oz package of tuna (we use Wild Plant albacore tuna - no salt)
1 cup farfalle noodles (uncooked)
1/4 cup Miracle Whip or mayo of your choice
1/2 can low-sodium chickpeas
1/4 cup Thrive peas
1/8 cup Thrive chopped onions
1/2 cup Thrive red bell peppers
1/4 cup Thrive celery
1 teaspoon Thrive Chives
1 teaspoon Thrive Parsley
1. Add your Thrive chopped onions, peas, red bell peppers and celery to warm water to refresh. Stir occasionally.
2. Start boiling water. Once boiling, add 1 cup farfalle noodles and cook until al dente or soft. We prefer to cook our pasta al dente because pasta that is cooked al dente has a lower glycemic index than pasta that is cooked soft. This is a personal preference and do which way you like your pasta because you're the one that will be eating it. Drain noodles when done.
3. In a bowl combine tuna, chickpeas, mayo, all of your Thrive foods once they are refreshed and farfalle pasta and stir.
We did not drain our tuna. Some brands of tuna do recommend it but Wild Planet does not recommend draining your tuna as it enhances the flavor. This will leave your tuna salad looking a little runny if you are eating it warm. If you're putting in the refrigerator, you won't notice it.
Refreshing your veggies will take about 15 minutes and just means adding to water. When you refresh all the veggies together, the one you're waiting for is the celery. Test your celery for the consistency you like. Don't worry if it seems "weird." I thought that the first time too. Once it's mixed up in your tuna salad it's great!
Now the final question...
Which you do prefer - Cold tuna salad or Warm tuna salad? I like it both ways and when I'm pressed for time, will eat it warm but given the opportunity for cold tuna salad, I'll take it! Leave me a comment and let me know.
What's the BEST way to shop for Thrive products?
We're excited that you are interested in learning more about Thrive Foods and how you can use them in your everyday cooking to save time and money in the kitchen and also have food on hand for emergencies. Here are 3 ways you can buy Thrive and know you are getting the best deals:
- Shop our Consultant Website: This way you will save huge off retail pricing by shopping with us as your consultants. By joining our list you'll receive a temporary password but you can shop ANY TIME and get wholesale prices by visiting https://
- Join the Thrive Delivery Service: Get the BEST prices on Thrive, sent to your doorstep, at a budget you can afford every single month. Choose from hundreds of ingredients or meals, schedule your delivery, cancel or skip anytime. We'll remind you of what's coming before each order so you can change it if you'd like. You'll also receive monthly coupons for specials only available to our Delivery Service customers. PLUS you receive FREE SHIPPING on Deliveries $100 or more! Be sure to activate your order. If you would like it to process today, after you select a date, go back into your Delivery and click on Ship Now. Not ready to set up a Delivery? No problem! You can still place individual orders. When you shop through our Thrive Life website, you'll receive our wholesale pricing.
- Become a Consultant: Earn commission and free food benefits off your OWN purchases and when you tell your family and friends about Thrive. There are no mandatory sales quotas. You select one of our Consultant kits to get started. Learn more about being a Thrive Life Consultant here.
- Sign up for our newsletter: Stay updated on sales, recipes and kitchen tips. Sign up here.
Lisa and Rich Jelinek