The Simple Solution To A Healthy Fruit Roll Up Alternative That Will Keep You Out Of The Kitchen
Fruit roll ups! Either you love them or hate them and many of you remember how awesome these were when they were in your school lunch. Of course many times they didn't want to peel off the wrapper and your hands got sticky but they were tasty! Kids love them and it's no wonder they do. They are FULL of SUGAR!
Years ago they were marketed as "real fruit" but you'd be surprised to learn how little real fruit is in there. The strawberry flavor contains no strawberries, and the only ingredient derived from fruit is the sugar present in concentrated pear juice.
Let's take a look at the ingredients of one of the popular Strawberry fruit roll ups on the market today.
Corn Syrup, Dried Corn Syrup, Sugar, Pear Puree Concentrate, Palm Oil. Contains 2% or less of: Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Fruit Pectin, Monoglycerides, Malic Acid, Dextrose, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), Acetylated Monoglycerides, Natural Flavor, Color (red 40, yellows 5 & 6, blue 1).
Does that make your head hurt? It does mine!
Let's see...sugar, sugar, sugar and some more sugar (that last one is at least natural sugar from the pear). Palm oil is controversial ingredient from both an environmental standpoint and from a health standpoint. It has a high saturated fat content, which can be harmful to cardiovascular health.
It states that there are No Artificial Flavors. Good for them, right? The ingredient list says "Natural Flavor."
But what is "Natural Flavor?" According to Healthline.com "The original source of natural flavors must be plant or animal material. However, natural flavors are highly processed and contain many chemical additives. In fact, natural flavors aren't much different than artificial flavors in terms of chemical composition and health effects." There are many articles that address the term "natural flavor" if you want to read more.
The fruit roll ups above also states Produced with Genetic Engineering.
One last part I'll point out is Color...red 40, yellow 5 and 6, and blue 1. There are articles about artificial food dyes and hyperactivity in children, allergic reactions, possibly tumors and cancer. Some of the dyes have been banned in other countries. Example, blue 1 has been banned in Norway, Finland, and France. My suggestion is to always do your best to avoid artificial colors. If something is good for you, we don't need it to look pretty.
Rarely are foods naturally bright pink or purple (unless they are a fruit or vegetable) but yet we see all sorts of colors added to our snacks, cereals, beauty and hair products, dog and cat food, and even bird food. We have an African Grey parrot and she will not touch anything with an artificial color in it. That says A LOT in my book. If Pip doesn't approve, it's a NO GO! By the way, Pip LOVES Thrives fruit and veggies.
So what's a lover of fruit roll ups to do?
Yes, you can make your own but if you're like me and not handy in the kitchen nor do I have time to make my own, we have a simple solution for you!
insert trumpet sounds as I bring you...Spinach Fruit Crisps! From the minute I put one in my mouth, that nostalgic fruit roll up taste is what I thought of.
The Thrive Spinach Fruit Crisps are made from 100% fruits and veggies These crisps pair the fantastic nutrition of spinach with the great taste of apples, oranges, and bananas. Best of all, you won't even know you're eating spinach! A handful of crisps (1/2 cup) is 2 full servings of fruits and veggies! These won't get stuck to that cellophane wrapper, are easy to eat, crunchy, and won't make your hands all sticky.
I smile just seeing this...
- Certified gluten-free
- NO GMOs: no bioengineered ingredients
- NO artificial colors or flavors
Check out the ingredient list...
Apple Puree Concentrate, Orange Juice Concentrate, Banana Puree, Spinach Powder.
Each serving has 10g of sugar but it's the natural sugar from the fruit. It's not added sugar.
Guess what? They are Pip the parrot approved too! That speaks volumes in my book.
I forgot to mention, there is one downside of the Spinach Fruit Crisps. They only come in Snackie bag size. Oh please, please, please give us these in a pantry can size because they are just that good and good for you!
Which would you rather have? A fruit roll up with the list of ingredients above or these healthy Thrive Spinach Fruit Crisps?
What's the BEST way to shop for Thrive products?
We're excited that you are interested in learning more about Thrive Foods and how you can use them in your everyday cooking to save time and money in the kitchen and also have food on hand for emergencies. Here are 3 ways you can buy Thrive and know you are getting the best deals:
- Shop our Consultant Website: This way you will save huge off retail pricing by shopping with us as your consultants. By joining our list you'll receive a temporary password but you can shop ANY TIME and get wholesale prices by visiting https://
- Join the Thrive Delivery Service: Get the BEST prices on Thrive, sent to your doorstep, at a budget you can afford every single month. Choose from hundreds of ingredients or meals, schedule your delivery, cancel or skip anytime. We'll remind you of what's coming before each order so you can change it if you'd like. You'll also receive monthly coupons for specials only available to our Delivery Service customers. PLUS you receive FREE SHIPPING on Deliveries $100 or more! Be sure to activate your order. If you would like it to process today, after you select a date, go back into your Delivery and click on Ship Now. Not ready to set up a Delivery? No problem! You can still place individual orders. When you shop through our Thrive Life website, you'll receive our wholesale pricing.
- Become a Consultant: Earn commission and free food benefits off your OWN purchases and when you tell your family and friends about Thrive. There are no mandatory sales quotas. You select one of our Consultant kits to get started. Learn more about being a Thrive Life Consultant here.
- Sign up for our newsletter: Stay updated on sales, recipes and kitchen tips. Sign up here.
Lisa and Rich Jelinek
Stay updated on sales and recipes. Sign up for our newsletter.