This recipe takes less than 20 minutes to toss together and is delicious whether you choose to serve it as a warm salad or cold. Serving this dish warm means you'll been eating that much quicker!
This is a great salad to take to a summer event but does mean that it will need to spend at least an hour, if not more, in the refrigerator. If you're like me...this is HARD!
Also, if you're serving as a cold salad, you might want to add additional fresh lemon and some olive oil before you serve as the orzo may get a little sticky.
We used Thrive chopped chicken for this recipe because it makes cooking easy and fast. I've never liked the whole chicken process because of the cleaning, the chopping, the cooking the meat thoroughly and then...the clean up. When you use Thrive chopped chicken, all of that is a snap and makes this meal come together in under 20 minutes.
If you don't have Thrive chopped chicken, feel free to substitute whatever chicken you have on hand. You can also make this a meatless meal by leaving out the chicken and substituting chickpeas.
I fell in love with orzo pasta years ago and it's one of my favorite pastas to use. It's light and refreshing.
This recipe serves 2-3 and can easily be doubled or tripled according to family size.
3/4 cup uncooked Orzo pasta
1 cup of THRIVE chopped chicken
1 small jar of marinated artichoke hearts (drained)
20 cherub tomatoes or 1 large tomato
1/2 cucumber or English cucumber (if you don't want seeds)
1 2 ounce can of sliced black olives (drained)
1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
3-5 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil (if you are serving cold, you will need additional when you serve)
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (We use Mrs. Dash since it is salt free)
1/2 to 1 teaspoon THRIVE Italian Seasoning
1-2 tablespoons THRIVE Parsley (Optional)
- If you are using THRIVE chopped chicken, scoop from can and add to water to refresh. This takes 15-20 minutes and use warm water. You can test it at 15 minutes and for us, it's usually completely refreshed. It's already cooked so go ahead and try it. If you are cooking your own chicken, chop and brown in a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- While THRIVE chopped chicken is refreshing in warm water (or you are cooking chicken), bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add orzo pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente and drain.
- Drain artichoke hearts and black olives. You can reserve the artichoke liquid for later and drizzle over completed salad if you'd like. We didn't do this option as I follow a low salt diet.
- Chop cucumber and tomatoes.
- In large bowl combine THRIVE chopped chicken (or your own), orzo pasta, artichoke hearts, tomato, cucumber, balck olives, Italian Seasoning and lemon pepper.
- Combined lemon juice and olive oil in a separate bowl or measuring cup and add while mixing the ingredients. This allows you to achieve your desired taste and if you are eating this cold, save additional for later, if needed.
If you are serving this dish warm, we suggest adding your Feta cheese and parsley on the top and mix in.
If you are serving this dish cold, you can add your Feta cheese and parsley right away, toss and chill for 1 hour or more in refrigerator. We prefer to add the Feta cheese and parsley after it's cold but if you're taking this dish to a summer BBQ or an event, it's best to do it right away so it's not missed at the end.
If you've tried this recipe, feel free to leave us a comment. We'd love to hear from you.
What's the BEST way to shop for Thrive products?
We're excited that you are interested in learning more about Thrive Foods and how you can use them in your everyday cooking to save time and money in the kitchen and also have food on hand for emergencies. Here are 3 ways you can buy Thrive and know you are getting the best deals:
- Shop our Consultant Website: This way you will save huge off retail pricing by shopping with us as your consultants. By joining our list you'll receive a temporary password but you can shop ANY TIME and get wholesale prices by visiting https://
- Join the Thrive Delivery Service: Get the BEST prices on Thrive, sent to your doorstep, at a budget you can afford every single month. Choose from hundreds of ingredients or meals, schedule your delivery, cancel or skip anytime. We'll remind you of what's coming before each order so you can change it if you'd like. You'll also receive monthly coupons for specials only available to our Delivery Service customers. PLUS you receive FREE SHIPPING on Deliveries $100 or more! Be sure to activate your order. If you would like it to process today, after you select a date, go back into your Delivery and click on Ship Now. Not ready to set up a Delivery? No problem! You can still place individual orders. When you shop through our Thrive Life website, you'll receive our wholesale pricing.
- Become a Consultant: Earn commission and free food benefits off your OWN purchases and when you tell your family and friends about Thrive. There are no mandatory sales quotas. You select one of our Consultant kits to get started. Learn more about being a Thrive Life Consultant here.
- Sign up for our newsletter: Stay updated on sales, recipes and kitchen tips. Sign up here.
Lisa and Rich Jelinek